This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Why do I do it?

I try not to consider what I do 'blogging.' I think of it more like a journal. I don't like to write with pen and paper anymore. I have to do that at work and it gives me enough practice to realize I don't like it. There area a lot of things I like about 'blogging' and the blogging community as a whole.

In case your faith in 'blogging' has waned, let me tell you why I like 'blogging' and why I like the whole 'blogging' community. Maybe it will rekindle your love or maybe I'll just look like the freak I really am.

  • In 20 years I'm going to smoke a fat one and read my blog. I will laugh heartily. Not just at "youth" but at the way I perceived (wrongly) the things that were going on around me.
  • I learn new words every day from the 'blogging' community. My current favorite new word is "SuperFriends." It is a term to replace "Friends with benefits." I giggle a little every time I think about it. I'm far beyond the age of having SuperFriends but I soooooo wish I had thought of that term. I'd be the Rawk instead of the Suck.
  • I like to live vicariously through other people. My wife hated the winters in Pennsylvania... imagine what she'd think about the winters in Alaska. If I were a single man with no marriage and no kids I'd be blogging from the big state though. Alas it would require a divorce at this point (which just isn't going to happen) so I read about the other John in Alaska.
  • I use 'blogging' as a method of self exploration. When I hit the magic "Publish Post" button it doesn't end there for me. I stew on the post for a while. I mull it over and sometimes I don't agree with what I wrote afterwards but I don't and won't change it. I consider it ink (unless it is a simple typo or unclear.) I might amend what I said in the comments but I'll leave the post so I can go back in 20 years and maybe I'll be the only person that commented on the post but at least I'll be able to see my progression on whatever subject it is.
  • When I'm gone from this life (and I'm at the age where I realize that is an impending appointment) others will remember me as I was... not as they candy coat it in my obituary. Let this be my autobiography in an off kilter, disjointed sort of way.
  • I don't just learn fancy names for old ideas, I learn real stuff. Some people are kind enough to put links to stuff that provide the opportunity to learn about real things. I like this. Learning is power... Three word slogan.
  • I like the feedback I receive. Most of the things I write about are menial at best. These are the things that cross my mind in a passing fancy. I like seeing if someone thinks I'm a dumbass for my view on something. I like it when they agree. It tells me they are alert and alive.
  • There is a lot to learn from surfing the 'blog' world. One of the things I realize is that not too many layouts "work." Yeah, mine might be horrendously colored (keep in mind that I dress in pitch dark and when I get outside I'm as surprised by the outcome as the rest of the world... I just feel around for long or short sleeves as the case may warrant) but my blog displays the way I think an online display of thoughts should. Well other than the fact that I think the entries should be oldest at top to newest at bottom. I'm still working on that. I prefer to read someone else's blog from top to bottom but with the way they are set up you need to read bottom to top on each archive page to get caught up in realtime order. I think I mentioned I'm not a fan of that.
  • I'm sure there's a clinical term for this one but I don't know it. I like pondering on my entry ideas to help keep out the stuff I'm trying not to think about. I'll often start my ideas on my PDA and then work them out on the computer from there. Denial? no, that's DEFINITELY not the word I'm looking for. It's CERTAINLY something different. I'm sure of it. It's not denial.
So did it rekindle an old flame or just make me look like a goon? Either way I can take it. Tell me about it.

3 comments:

JohnCub said...

heh, and it makes me realize I'd never want to diagram my own sentences. I sure can string them together.

KeishaMama said...

I like to blog. I don't do it as often as I'd like. I either don't think about it or I'm just too busy. Mostly that I don't think about it. Sometimes I go weeks without checking "my regular" blogs, like yours and others. Sometimes I go MONTHS without posting in one of my own. I check my email, then end up doing other things.

I've started jotting stuff down on a notepad in the car now though. Maybe now I'll actually remember the stuff I think about when I'm out-n-about. Then I can come home and post it. :p

I love reading your blog even when it's nonsense. You and I don't get as much time together as either of us would like so this lets me in on what you are thinking. Considering how we met, it's not all to strange that we can relate through blogging. LOL

John said...

yeah, the wife has to be on board with the whole "seven months of winter" thing, or else Alaska would be even colder . . .