This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Trifecta minus one equals bifecta OR How to play the local card

I was talking to my cousin yesterday and we were kind of bellyaching over the things we haven't done that we said we would do if we lived on an island. One of those things was offshore fishing. It's one of those things that is "Right Here" yet we never took the time to get any information, talk to any locals, or basically do any legwork at all on the subject. I assumed we'd be looking at about $200+ per person for a day of fishing and it really isn't worth that kind of money to me and I suspect it wouldn't be worth that for my cousin. I decided to do a quick search and see what I could find.

Much to my surprise I found a local company that takes people for an all day tour with everything included except food (lunch) for about $105. Pretty reasonable in my book for a full day's worth of entertainment and food to bring home. The web page said to call for reservations and I knew we'd be wanting to go during Memorial Day weekend... therefore I knew there wouldn't be any reservations left. Regardless, I made the call. They inquired when we wanted to go and I queried if they had any openings during the Mem. Day weekend at all. After a moment I was told there were 3 cancellations on Saturday's all day offshore trip and we could get on the waiting list if we wanted. It turns out, unsurprisingly, there was a waiting list for the cancelled seats. I said that would be fine and I gave them my phone number. I didn't even need to think about this one. I wasn't giving them my cell phone number with a different area code. I'd play the local card and give them my land line on the island.

"Oh, you live on Tybee?"

"Yeah."

"Ok, then I'll go ahead and put the reservations in, you don't need to be on the waiting list."


Schwing!


A stroke of luck. I apologize to those that were on the waiting list but hey, I've been that guy, you've been that guy. It happens. For once it turned around in my favor this time. Show up at the dock that evening. I might even share some of my spoils with you. If nothing else I'll tell you the story of how the 900 pound shark got away.

1 comment:

supine said...

Heh, well done. Hey, you've gotta get some benefits out of living on Tybee, right? Other than the possible Sandra Bullock sighting, which I'm guessing isn't exactly the reason you moved there...

Have fun fishing!