This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Shut Up

Have I explained the concept of "shut down?" I think I might have touched on it but here's a recap.

In our business (pulp and paper construction) we typically work on or modify machinery that is either running or is isolated and the rest of the process continues to run. It is very rare that an entire paper mill is shut down. When it is shut down everybody switches to 24 hour manpower and everything is planned to the most minute detail on how things are supposed to work to get along the critical path to get it back up and running again. Costs are not spared during this time because there are few costs that can compare to the losses a paper mill incurrs while it is not running. You wouldn't think paper would be that valuable but it would seem that it is. After everything is completed on the construction side the commissioning process begins. This entails checking each piece of equipment individually and then as a whole to ensure everything is running properly. Shut down is this whole process.

We have been in shut down mode since the 6th of June. Commissioning was scheduled to begin on the 18th of June. We were supposed to be out of here on the 22nd of June. Hi, it is June 30th and finally, as of last night, we are once again making paper. Yes, we are late. I'm sure it was costly. Luckily it had nothing to do with me or my company. There are going to be some meetings today. Most call them "Come to Jesus" meetings. It is where the finger is pointed and the blame is set. In all my years in this business I have never seen more setbacks in a shutdown. I won't list them all but the number one problem seems to have been manpower. From the top down. There's been much speculation about all of this and my thoughts are this:

Shit might roll downhill but when it starts to leak it leaks from the bottom.

Now we are ready for a vacation.

In related news, should the end of a "shut down" be called a "shut up"?

2 comments:

KeishaMama said...

I never know when you guys are in "shut down" or "start up"...I think the Shut Up is perfect!

John said...

You've earned the vacation!