This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

The Phrase that Pays

So girlfriend was sitting in her office working away when a guy we'll call Stack steps into the doorway. I have an unobstructed view of her doorway and her. She was busy in a pile of papers and after a moment noticed someone standing in her door. She glanced up quickly and went back to work. After a moment of realization she looked up with what can only be described as an attempt to hide dumbstruck horror. She had received word this fellow was "sweet on her" and on a couple of occasions she and her friends had me point this fellow out to them. He's a typical construction worker. He's not that attractive, full of shit, and has the social skills of a 4th grader. After she came out of shock she said something along the lines of "What can I do for you?" in a very businesslike tone.

He replied that several people had told him he needed to get up with her. She asked who and he mentioned one of the guys that work for me. She noted that she had not sent for him and it was quite obvious she was very nervous about this whole ordeal. The office was growing very quiet quickly and at it's most silent point he said, "So are you seein' anybody?"

There was a pause of pregnancy that could have used an abortion clinic staffed to the hilt.

"Uhhh, on and off..." she stammered. She was so nervous I felt bad for her.

The conversation went on for about 15 minutes but I'm sure it felt like about 6 hours to girlfriend and she wasn't really any better off nerve-wise at the end than she was at the beginning. After 10 minutes I had to get up and head to another office or I would have started crying I was holding back the laughter so hard.

I immediately made certain that everyone knew the phrase that pays:

"So, are you seein' anybody?"

She won't forget that anytime soon, I feel quite certain. :)

No comments: