This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Fat and happy != enjoyable to all

I had to do a half flip ( as close to flipping out as possible without actually doing it) on Humpty Dumpty this morning. I noted that I was tired of checking lunch boxes and I don't plan to have that responsibility in the future.

Some background info is appropriate, methinks. Humpty Dumpty has the same job as I do but he works for a different company. We often spend most of the day in similar situations and often in the same work area. He speaks highly of his days with the most loathsome construction company I can imagine, Halliburton's Brown and Root. I'm sure he was a model employee for them: fat, yes-man, and lazier than a cat on a sunny day. He is very enamored with me because I am the local computer helper among other reasons. He often pulls me over to his workstation to tell him (again) how to get his toolbars back in outlook or what he has done to his word document. He bought a laptop a few months back. He wasn't satisfied with something that would fit his knowledge of computers. He had to have the biggest and best so he got a 3 gigahertz with a 17" wide screen, dvd burner, premium sound, amazing video card and all this extra crap he'd never need. The best part, he HAD to have an external floppy drive because it's all he understands.

(I know, I'm on a tangent now, but I'll continue with the original story later. This is too fun to quit.)

After he purchased the unit he asked me to come to his apartment and help him get it set up. He had the cable guy install his cable modem and he was already online when I arrived. He had me make him an account with Yahoo so he could have yahoo mail and whatnot. He also wanted his isp's email (why do people use those?) and I recommended not using Outlook Express due to it's security being worse than a drunken guard. I downloaded Mozilla's Firefox for that purpose and put in his smtp and pop information. I noticed his version of Microsoft Office was but a 90 day trial and he was aghast. I told him I could download and install OpenOffice and it worked the same way and was free and legal. He thought that would be good so I did that. He worked with OpenOffice for maybe a week before he plopped down $400 for Microsoft Office. He said OpenOffice didn't display his documents the same way as Microsoft's Office did. I agree this is true, but is that worth $400? Not to me. I'd rather make the miniscule changes or just use OpenOffice at the office. Ah well, it's his money.
He told me he burned a cd after bugging me for about 3 days with questions about it. I asked him what he successfully burned. He replied, "A picture." heh. Good use of space Humpty. I have no idea if he's ventured back into the oh-so-difficult realm of cd burning again or not. I have no desire to ask.

Anyway, end of tangent, back to this morning...

I've had a lot of trouble lately keeping up. The work load on me is likely higher than it has ever been and I am as stressed as I've ever been. After I mentioned how I didn't like checking the lunchboxes he replied with one of his standard lines:
You brought it on yourself.
My blood pressure was likely visible through my eyeballs at that point. I mentioned that he has seen the load I have had as of late and if he were any kind of man he could have stepped up to the plate and offered some help. He continued on with the "it's all your fault" line. I loudly told him to shut up, I had heard enough.

I'm sooooooooooooooo looking forward to his next computer question. No matter the question the answer will be shouted across the office:

F1

No comments: