This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Look out Lance, you might run me down on your way by!


I got the trusty old bike out today for a little bit of tooling around the island. I had hoped to get some miles in early this morning but the weather was quite chilly and the wind was high. I decided to try to wait out the weather but when it hadn't improved by noon I decided to brave the elements.

It's been several months since I had the bike out and while not everything worked as planned it was a great ride. The computer seems to be dead, possibly needing replaced. The wire leads seemed to have come loose and it was never that reliable anyway. The chain guide needed some love but I rather expected that. The tires didn't hold pressure over the "winter" but again there was never any doubt that they would need some help.

I was surprised that it was much like getting back on a bike after being off of one for some time. I know this sounds like a self obvious truth but look at the bike. It is quite a bit different than the Huffy and Free Spirit type that I, and most people, grew up with. It was a smooth ride and for a time I even rode one handed while I talked to my brother on the cell phone. I think I might need to tighten the seat and realistically I likely need to have a full tune up done. Unfortunately it looks like my favorite bike shop has given up the magic smoke and gone the way of the dodo. It is still technically winter here on the island so it is possible they might reopen in the summer. Until I'm sure I will wait because I really don't wish to take it to anyone else. The lady that runs it, Jaime, is a good person and I like her. I know that sounds like a crazy way to pick a bike mechanic but the truth is they can all turn a wrench and know far more than I do about what tool to use where and how to make it feel like new again. But too many bike mechanics, like too many computer technicians, are just snooty and not fun to deal with. I'd rather pay someone I enjoy dealing with than to pay someone I loathe. Jaime is only the second bicycle mechanic I have known in my life that I didn't detest.

My biggest little man got a new bike from Santa® for Christmas® and he's gotten to be quite good on it. I feel my pace will slow even more when we start riding together but that's as much of a challenge as going fast and being that I'll be in good company. He was wanting to go on the ride today but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to navigate the beast well enough to have one more little responsibility with me. It was pretty cold anyway and even my hands and ears were more than a bit nippy when I got in so its probably best that he had to hang back this time anyway.

I forecast many miles on the bike this year. My little five mile journey today was but a precursor of things to come and I'm very excited about it. I enjoy watching the road go by at a slower pace and I hope to see some old roads and some new ones along the way.

No comments: