This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Golden Compass review from a bystander

I finally watched The Golden Compass. I still couldn't put it together with a god theory. I have my own version of what's going on inside my head (the grand scale) and it just doesn't jive with my figures to go replacing the magisterium with the church and whatever whatever. I just like the story the way I understand it.

The movie is excellent. The only problem I had is that when I bought and listened to the audio books, it was all in a row. I have no idea where one story stops and the other ends. So while I was expecting the story to take a very interesting turn credits rolled. no biggie, I'll just listen to the books again while I wait for the next movie.

I realized very quickly in the movie that while listening to the books I never put a face on Lyra. I guess she was just "nondescript little girl" since there was very little in the book that described her other than her hair during the brushing and some mentions of tomboyism. What interests me is that not only did I not put a face on the main character, I didn't even realize I did that. The only other novel I recall doing that with is Crime & Punishment by
Fyodor Dostoevsky. Luckily I enjoyed The Golden Compass unlike the more dour counterpart, Crime and Punishment.

so in short...
Forget all that god nonsense about this movie and book. Just go by my original description of the book and you'll be fine.

It's Huck Finn, it's Harry Potter, it's Lord of the Rings. It's every little boy's adventure. But surprise, it's a girl!

1 comment:

KeishaMama said...

I agree with you completely. I didn't get through the audio books completely. I'll have to go back and listen again. The movie was awesome! I rank it very very highly. I can't wait for the DVD version as I've read it will have many extras and possibly an alternate ending!

My 2 cents : Christians, climb down from upon your high horse, read the book, listen to the audio book or watch the movie before forming a decision you read on the internet. Yeah the writer is a weirdo. No doubt. But his beliefs are NOT what he puts in his books. Poe was a drunken loony but his written word was genius. Think about that. :p