This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

When you beat a dead horse it rarely kicks you

I'm not usually one to beat a dead horse but I thought I'd give it a stab. Here's the current progression of my support experience with steam. If nothing else it has been a slow going process. I submitted my ticket on the 7th and received my first non-automated reply on the 13th. Their first idea was to have me prove that my cd key was real. Baffled, I asked them why they wanted me to do that when it wasn't a key issue. They didn't offer any apology or reasoning but continued on with lines of questioning that had been previously addressed. Incidentally, anytime they respond they mark the support issue "resolved" even when they ask you a question. I'm stymied. They go beyond all reasoning that has no reason. At one point they tell me to run a command that uses the steam:// protocol and yet... I cannot install steam. THAT is the issue.

Have you seen the movie idiocracy? I feel a lot like that guy. I'm not the smartest guy on earth but common sense and reading comprehension are some of my skills. I have literally gutted the machine at this point. There is nothing installed but the operating system, cd burner software, dvd reading software, and drivers. That's it. I even uninstalled my text editor. Windows firewall is off. The hardware firewall is allowing any connection to or from the machine in question. Their latest response says I have network connectivity issues. I _did_ download their software, right? So mostly in the paranoid fear they'll delete my support ticket completely below is a transcript with only my account name removed. Do read and wonder at the idiocracy.





Customer
09/07/2007 08:53 AM
I recently downloaded steam on this computer (windows vista business edition) and installed. Now when I run it just sits on 0% steam updating and I left it on for over an hour with the same results. I don't have antivirus, windows firewall, or any other such thing on this computer but it still will not update so I can download my games or for that matter even log into my account. I tried running steam.exe as administrator by right clicking and selecting run as admin but still no love.

any ideas?



Auto-Response 09/07/2007 08:53 AM
Title: Windows Vista Issues
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=460&p_created=1148343819

Title: Optimizing Multi-player Voice Quality
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=179&p_created=1093557339

Title: Game Error: Invalid Steam UserID Ticket
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=29&p_created=1092274907




Customer
09/07/2007 01:50 PM
So is the "solution" to my question because I already read those handy links before I submitted this ticket. This email isn't clear as to whether this is your final response or if I should be waiting for further developments.




Response (Zachery) 09/13/2007 11:47 AM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. We apologize for the inconvenience.

In order to investigate this issue, we will need to verify your ownership of the CD Key.

Please write your Support Incident Number or your Steam account username on the quick reference card or sticker above the CD Key and reply with a digital photo or scan of the CD Key.

If you have any difficulty locating the CD Key on the packaging, please see the following link:
http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=68

Example scans:
http://support.steampowered.com/downloads/faq/294/ea_cd_key_scan.jpg
http://support.steampowered.com/downloads/faq/294/sierra_cd_key_scan.jpg

After verifying your proof of ownership we will gladly assist you with this issue.




Customer
09/13/2007 11:59 AM
This has absolutely nothing to do with a cd key issue. I haven't even been able to log into my account on this vista machine, as it hasn't completed the update/installation. I _can_ verify my cd key but since this isn't an account related question I don't see the need.

The issue, again, is this:
I downloaded steaminstaller.
I installed steaminstaller.
It goes to the initial update client process.
It goes nowhere.
At no point in this process am I asked for my login credentials.

I don't see how a cd key would be an issue if I'm unable to install the client. I have as of yet to log in or install any of my steam games on this computer.




Response (Zachery) 09/13/2007 12:27 PM
Hello,

This issue appears to be related to how Vista deals with user file permissions.
Please review the following instructions to ensure Vista allows you proper access to your Steam files.

1. If you are logged in, please exit Steam
2. Navigate to the Steam installation folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\ by default) and right-click on the Steam.exe file
3. Select Run as administrator...


In some situations, User Account Control can cause issues with Steam. To disable UAC:

1. Launch MSCONFIG by from the Run menu.
2. Go to Tools.
3. Scroll down to Disable UAC.
4. Press the Launch button.
5. Restart the computer.

If your issues, persist, please try changing the security settings for your Steam files:

1. Right-click on your Steam folder.
2. Go to "Sharing and Security..."
3. Go to the "Security" Tab.
4. Allow all users Full Control of your Steam folder, subfolders, and files.
5. Apply your changes.




Customer
09/13/2007 01:58 PM
I have previously disabled uac completely, ran as administrator, and now I have allowed all users full control with inheritence. After allowing full control I ran steam.exe as administrator with no change in effect. The installer simply sits at "Steam - Updating - 0% complete"

I have run the steam installer again where it seems to delete the clientregistry.blob and then recreates it when it launches again. After it launches I see that clientregistry.blob gets recreated but it maintains the 0% status and there seems to be no network or disk status.

At this point I have literally removed all programs from the computer. The only things left are windows, my cd burning program (nti), the dvd playing software (Power DVD), realtek audio drivers, sis vga utilities, steam, and windows driver package.

The firewall is opened both ways with all ports open to that machine, as it is to my other computer which is xp pro and works fine with steam. I'd be happy to let one of your people remote desktop it if you would like. I am available from 8am to 3 pm central time if this is an option. Otherwise I'm just lost. I can't imagine why the installer won't work.




Response (Zachery) 09/13/2007 02:12 PM
Hello,

Could you provide me with a msinfo32 report?
Title: MSINFO32 Reports
URL: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=248&p_created=1095979362

If you have any further questions, please let us know.




Customer
09/13/2007 03:41 PM
attached is my msinfo32 report




Response (Zachery) 09/13/2007 03:50 PM
Hello,

Please follow the link below for more information:

Title: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
URL: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=11&p_created=1092152203


If you have any further questions, please let us know.




Customer
09/13/2007 04:20 PM
Since I am unable to install steam I am unable to take advantage of the steam:// protocol to test it. However, attached are screen shots of my network configuration from the vista machine all the way to the router, both incoming and outgoing.

There is no network trouble with this machine that I am aware of. As I mentioned previously, windows firewall is completely shut off.

I don't know if it matters or not but this is windows Vista BUSINESS edition. I doubt you get a lot of gamers with that particular flavor and I certainly don't know enough about the internal workings of either windows or steam to know if it makes a difference. I did think I'd bring it up in case that could be the possible culprit.

No comments: