This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Maruchan Chicken flavor JumBowl Jumbo Size Ramen Noodle Soup

Being a bit of a Ramen connoisseur (as I have to be to maintain my position on not eating rat meat) I thought I'd offer up my professional opinion of a new product that the wife has graced me with, the Maruchan Chicken flavor JumBowl Jumbo Size Ramen Noodle Soup.

As with most of these products it says not to microwave it. I hastily disregard such notices on all occassions. I never seem to have the appropriate vessel to boil water in and teapots are so passé. I am not a microwave engineer so I can only speak for myself. My bowls don't explode, implode, or assplode.

The size of this bowl is listed as "Jumbo" which I like. 3.6 dry ounces (3.6-43 grams) is the listed weight but it comes in a nice big foam bowl. When I broke into the top I found wide noodles (well, wider than say a standard ramen -- don't expect momma mia's home made pasta folks,) the chicken flavor packet ( chicken dust, ) and the goody bag (also known as the dehyrdated, partially rehodginated foam in the shape of vegetebles you might recognize.) Instructions listed to combine all items (making me wonder why they weren't combined in the freeze drying/packing process but hey, what do I know,) add the boiling water, then wait. I amended the instructions to include cold water and 4 minutes in a microwave but your mileage may vary.

After cooking the meal I didn't get that heady aroma that I do with my favorite cup of soup type ramen but I continued on where I think few have ever been. I stirred well since the chicken dust was still floating atop the bowl and allowed it to steep for a few minutes.

The flavor was well rounded without being too overpowering and it filled a hole in my belly. There was very litte about it that I didn't like other than the inclusion of the mushrooms in the foam food packet but even those were sufficiently foamy enough to not taste too terrible. The broth amount was just right for the amount of noodles and the noodles themselves could be a contender for best ramen noodle noodles I've ever had. The only mystery to me is the cost. As I mentioned this was purchased for me and not by me. Therefore I can only say this is worth about twice as much as a cup of noodles type of ramen noodles goes for but I can't say what it really did go for.

One more day without rat meat. Times are good folks, times are good.

1 comment:

KeishaMama said...

I think I paid either 78 cents or 98 cents at BiLo