This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Friday, May 06, 2005

GoDaddy can go away

The thing about GoDaddy is that anyone can buy a domain for whatever length of time for little or nothing. I recently read they surpassed network solutions as the top seller of domains. This is a first since network solutions has had the market cornered since the onset of the internet. Well, at the current rate of $8.95 per year (and less) people are scarfing up domains like they are candy after the breaking of a pinata. The problem with this is that most people aren't doing anything with these domains. They are parked and are offering the internet community absolutely nothing except the typical fake search page.

I came up with an idea on the way into work today to register a domain and build it to be a community for a community. I entered my desired domain name into my browser of choice this morning and came up with a connection timeout error. I was hoping for a "This website cannot be found" error but as such was not the case. My domain is owned by GoDaddy and is parked at one of their park servers. Thusly there is no content, only a contact at the whois database, which I'm certain is someone waiting for a monetary offer on this unused domain. I think this should be completely illegal. There is a limited quantity of names to go around on the internet, especially ones that make any sense at all. I feel if you are not actively developing or using a domain name you should not be allowed to own it.

So much for my big plans unless I can come up with another appropriate name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the slogan should be
go daddy, go far away from me
terrible services, horrible speed, suport sucks