This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Renaming a vehicle

I've never renamed a vehicle. I think most of my vehicles have had names or at least nouns associated with them. I had a '76 or '77 Monte Carlo that was "The Floater" due to its odd suspension that made you feel like you were kind of floating. Could have been bad shocks and tires that show metal threads, but all the same that is what I and collectively, we, called the car.


My first car didn't have a name so much as a phrase. "Have gas; Will Travel" was what it was fairly widely known as. That came from a keg party we were at in BFE (actually near Kushequa, Pennsylvania) but I digress. This story isn't about the names of cars, this story is about renaming a car.


When I started looking at Jeeps on the internet I decided if I wanted one it had to be white, green, or yellow. When building my vehicles online I like to choose the white ones because I think it gives a better picture of the car. Digressing. When the dealership called me (wtf was I thinking putting my real info on that form?) and said he had a used one that fit my profile, I told him I wasn't interested in used, I'd wait for a new one. Sorry, I'm in a tangentianal mood this evening. Getting to the point, I bought a new white jeep wrangler unlimited. I decided to call it Daisy because I have a little bit of redneck in me.

Daisy never seemed to fit, since I never referred to the vehicle in conversation in that manner. I didn't have any other names picked out so it just stuck.

Tonight the wife was having a hard day and just needed some quiet time so I asked the kids if they wanted to go outside and play before it got dark. The oldest took me up on it but the youngest was busy with some cartoon or other. The oldest, we'll call him Thor, came out and went straight to the jeep. I've never had any problem with the kids playing in there and they know this. Thor climbs in the driver's side and the youngest, we'll call him Noah, comes to the door wanting to come out and play.

Once Noah figured out where Thor was he wanted in too. I took the keys out and put it on accessory mode so they could listen to some radio. I showed Thor how the scan button works and he let it run its course through the dial several times before they opted for the CD that was in the player. Coincidentally the cd is Kiss - Destroyer (1976). This is the year their mother was born and it contains the song God of Thunder (and rock and roll). This was originally slated to be Thor's middle name (God of Thunder and rock and roll) but the wife said she'd give me Thor if she could pick the middle name (well it was a group effort) BUT I DIGRESS!

After about an hour or a little more of silence in the house, just having to look out every now and then and listen for any car doors (we're rural enough that if there's a car door in earshot, people are looking out to see who it is... or to see what the bull is doing to the telephone pole.) Much loving silence, kids content as well... kids in a jeep, and a wife that got some peace. Well, it led to a new name for the jeep. I've even designed a logo.





I dub thee: PlayPen.

No comments: