This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

The thing about work is that I just don't like it anymore. I guess we all go through times when we don't really like our jobs. If you're a zig ziglar fanboi then you'll respond with something like "Then you aren't being challenged" or "Your motivation needs to shift" or some other such crap. I'm obviously not a fanboi. I've studied up on how to manage my micromanager and I now know how to avoid the confrontations that I dislike so much. But I'm weary of it. This is my first job I have ever had that I honestly had a micromanager. It has taught me that I am definitely not a micromanager. Honestly I'm likely the absolute converse of one. When I have to I tell someone what to do and I expect they will get it done. If they don't I do it myself and I try not to say anything about it. But to have someone tell me what color marker to use on my dry erase board?
Samir: Mother... shitter... Son of an... ass. I just...
I've given this a whole lot of thought lately. What would I like to do? Well I enjoyed my previous job, or at least I enjoyed it more than I do this one. My boss was a good guy. He knew I knew how and when to do my job and there was some mutual respect. The hours sucked and I felt like I was owned by the client but that was as much my fault as anyone's. I was hourly. I knew overtime was the time to make the money and I capitalized on that as much as I could.
Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
I guess there are things I wouldn't mind doing. I'd kind of like to be a hot dog vendor. I could even go for having a hot dog shop. I'd model it after my favorite restaurant in the whole wide world. It's a Greek family's restaurant from my home town. They made hot dogs, burgers, served draft and bottled beers, and just had a nice little restaurant. I'm not much on food service either. My only experience in food service... Hmm, there was the pre-teen dishwashing gig at my grandmother's restaurant for quarters for the jukebox and pinball machine, there was the dishwashing in college for way not enough money and then I did work at Subway for one day. I respectfully quit. I told them, "I really like to eat your food but I sure don't like making it." I figure the hot dog gig would be good because people don't eat hot dogs for breakfast and very few have them for supper so I'd be looking at sleeping in every day, big lunch time rush, and then some people in for burgers and beers in the afternoons.
Peter Gibbons: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.
Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.
So I've been playing the lottery. I've never been much of a gambler myself. I understand odds and statistics. But as far as I can tell it's my only way out. Yeah, I could go find another job but considering I haven't decided what it is I want to do for the rest of my life, I'm just as well off winning the lottery and saying goodbye to the whole racket. I'm not going to tell you my life won't change. But I wouldn't quit my job. I'd hire someone to do it for me.
Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy. In fact, look, I'm gonna have to ask you to just go ahead and come back another time. I got a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes.

No comments: