This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Order up!

We'll add this to things I don't understand. At a certain McRestaurant I like to order a certain McBreakfast McSandwich. We'll call this McSandwich the Sausage McMuffin with Egg, since that is the name it is given on the menu and it is the same name that is on their nutrition fact sheet. It is not the name it is commonly known by.

I have travelled to many states and ordered this same McSandwich time and time again. I'm pretty sure there is not a state I have been in that the order taker has not become confused by my calling it by its proper name. The reason being is there is one ingredient (Other than lard) that is not in the name of the sandwich. Cheese. The sandwich is a simple English muffin (covered in lard), a sausage patty (pre soaked in lard), an egg patty (cooked in lard), and a slice of american "cheese." Yes, I know it is just congealed lard, but "American cheese" is the accepted term for that item. Since the name of the McSandwich does not include the term "cheese", many people assume you don't want the cheese when you order it properly. I can't count the number of times I have said into a craptastic microphone/speaker "No, I just want the sandwich from the #2 meal but not the meal."

Therefore I have come to the following conclusion:
It matters not what the proper name of something is, one must use the vernacular of the participants in order to obtain the proper results.

In related news, if you want one of these, it is best to say "Sausage egg and cheese McMuffin." I still prefer, and will continue to say "Sausage McMuffin with egg sandwich" because that is the proper name of it. Sometimes I'll get cheese, sometimes I won't. As a side note, when you don't get cheese it doesn't change the price (unlike in their hamburger/cheeseburger world.) No, I don't take them back when they don't have cheese on them. I prefer to have my food spittle free.

3 comments:

John said...

Yeah. Throw in the "with cheese." It's easier that way . . . :)

supine said...

This is like me when I go to Starbucks (rarely) and cannot bring myself to call the smallest drink a Tall. I HAVE TO HAVE TO just call it a small. Usually they don't blink an eye but sometimes they're all annoying about it. "You mean the tall?" Argh. Corporate food names are annoying.

JohnCub said...

The small is a tall?

what do they call a large? I can only assume "EL MUCH GRANDE LAMBADA!"

To quote the occupational therapist in Office Space:

That's messed up.