This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Nice guys do finish last

I don't understand the motive behind it precisely but I have realized this much: Being offended is what people desire. It is what motivates them to act. Certainly there are other manners of creating a reaction but this one simple act is what drives our society.

Specific examples: PETA, Scientology, MTV, Jackass, Overly loud music, Racism, Hate, Speech in improper vernacular, Feats of decided stupidity, Commercials on the whole, Wars, Sexual discrimination.

PETA gets attention by shocking people. They seem to know of no other way to further their cause. They exist on the absolute fringe of reality. Scientology seems to bring people in by shutting people out. They do not allow any speech of their religion anywhere and therefore it gains more notice than seemingly any other religion. MTV exists only to shock people into continued viewing, or at least it did the last time I turned it on. Jackass. wow. They realized in creating this show and the many copycat shows, that people laugh when others get hurt. The guy driving down main street with his radio so loud you can't hear your own music. Do you think it is in any way comfortable sitting in his vehicle? I would doubt it. Many racists spout their views at any given opportunity. I hate snakes. But I don't make or join clubs around this point. Many people create tension by speaking in the wrong voice. By this I mean they purposefully talk down to people by utilizing a type of speech that is not native to the listener. Easy examples are tech support assholes who utilize so much jargon the end user has no idea what they are trying to convey. On the other end of the spectrum are people that use words, phrases, or pronunciations that have long fallen out of usage in general everyday speech. "Ort" for "Ought", "Chimbley" for "Chimney", "I'll be John Brown" for "Imagine my surprise" and the like. Feats of stupidity have been a marketing tool for as long as people have been alive. High wire crossings to promote a new store. Climbing vertical buildings for sometimes no other reason than to prove how "badass" one can be. Commercials of almost any type serve to offend. Television uses sex. Radio uses harsh words. Political ads use hate. Religious ads use fear. War. wow. Wars just say, "Hey, I'm going to kill a bunch of you so you'll see my point." Talk about overstating the obvious. Homophobia exists, I think, only to prove that the speaker isn't a "homo." I don't give a shit if you suck cock or not, I simply don't want to see it or hear about it.

I suppose we should have seen this coming. Did we? I don't think so but that could simply be my naïveté. Did you see it coming? Were you warned of it, or did you postulate this on your own? Have you read this far, or have I not offended enough to build that buzz? Is there a solution? Is there a common desire for a solution? I don't think there is the desire for the solution to be quite honest. Prove me wrong. Please. Nice guys do finish last.

1 comment:

tamara! said...

JohnCub, I liked this point especially: "Many racists spout their views at any given opportunity. I hate snakes. But I don't make or join clubs around this point."

It's so funny (not funny ha-ha) that people have to be so insistent and public about CERTAIN opinions of theirs, always the inflammatory or generally offensive ones. Why this one and not that one?