This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Moss, lichens, and water erosion? Oh my.

As I often do I went for a wander at lunch time. This is the norm for me. I have a tree out on wildcat cove I like to visit. I enjoy spending time down by the calf-killer river. I like to think about how many canoes have travelled that waterway. Someday I hope to get a canoe and ride a few miles on it. Today's journey was up towards Sunset Rock on Bon Aire mountain. I don't have a name for this route that I take that spans from the country club to some church to the bon aire highway but there I was tooling along at a brisk 10-15 miles per hour looking into the forest. There's no missing the rocks and boulders on this mountain and maybe it was due to everything being dead for winter or my eye just caught it right but I noticed many of the rocks and boulders on this mountain have very very obvious and very very pronounced erosion. It very much looks like these boulders have lived their lives in a tumultuous pool that can be envisioned on the shores of some harsh island with waves not lapping but attacking the land. I actually pulled over and decided to get a closer look. Perhaps my eyes were deceiving me. I walked around to several of them noting that there is moss and lichen on almost all rocks indicating they have been where they are for a very long time. At least this is what it indicates to my very simplistic understanding of all things geology. It doesn't make sense though. Here is an area that is about 350 meters above sea level with no water passing over the top of it other than possibly rainwater. These rocks have been here for hundreds of year (by my own reckoning, mind you) and they are waterworn. How odd is that.

No comments: