This blog has nothing to do with slogans. What would the three word slogan be for that? No Slogan Blog.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

The charter bundle - just say no!

We lived sans cable service for several months. When we moved here we looked into getting cable hooked up and they quoted us a price of about $60 for a basic package. This did not bode well with me and my tight ways so I respectfully declined and opted to rent movies for our television based entertainment needs. It worked well for a while but then Charter, the conglomerate cable company, sent us a flyer advertising "The Charter Bundle." In case you have been away from your consumerism for a while, this is a package of cable internet service, cable television service, and a cable phone line. The price is $99 per month. We did the math and we'd basically be getting free cable if we switched our land line phone and dsl internet over. Seemed like a no brainer.

We're in our 2nd month of service with this nefarious package and I've nothing good to report. In this month alone we have had no phone for part or all day 5 times. This also includes our internet service. You see the phone you get from Charter is this magical voice over ip (VoIP) which works on your internet connection. I am able to tell you I don't notice any difference in the phone line when it does work. It sounds very much like a phone should sound. Unfortunately this isn't the Ma-Bell phone we are all used to. For example we all know that if you don't have a corded phone and the power goes out you can't talk on the phone. Well with Charter's phone service if the power goes out you aren't talking on the phone anyway because there's nothing to keep the phone modem alive. Sure, you could put it on a uninterruptable power supply but I don't know how long you would have power in that case.

I have spent about 3 hours this month on the cell phone with charter tech support. We have had a tech come out to investigate the problem. The tech told us there was a problem with the node which is apparently the main box that serves everyone in our area. He said that it works fine when the door is open but when the door was shut everyone's internet and phone went out. Their remedy was to replace the node. We found this out after having no phone or internet for 2 continuous days, me putting in 2 service calls that were mysteriously "canceled" according to the customer support people.

At one point one of the customer support people wanted to transfer me to billing so I could get a credit. After he took all my information and got me set up for a service call he transferred me over to billing. I spoke with the person in billing who had no idea what the problem was or how to deal with it so she transferred me over to another department in service. I had called for my internet being down and she wanted to know if I had reported my phone being out. I told her I had not but if they'd fix the internet the phone would work too. She thought it was 100% necessary that I speak with the good people in telephone support as well and before I could get a word in I was in the process of being transferred.

Now the logistics of this situation as a whole need to be considered. Say you're ... well, you. And you decide to get the charter bundle. And you find that for about a week out of a month you don't have internet service or telephone. If you wish to report the outage you either drive up to the local office if you have one or you call them on your cellphone. If you've ever spent any time on the phone with tech support you know the drill -- unplug the modem, plug in the modem. Now which lights are on? Ok, unplug the modem again. Restart your computer. Plug in the modem. What lights are on now?

If my electricity service worked this well I'd have built a windmill.

And you can quote me on that, because I just did.

I make it a point to tell all my friends now and I thought I'd let you all know. Avoid charter at all costs if you can help it. The charter bundle may work fine for you -- if you aren't really concerned about availability of your phone and or internet service.

19 comments:

bigwill said...

we have same problem our neighborhood only allows charter for 2.5 years we have had all the same problems report it they say they will refund bill comes no refund call again no one said anything about we even had reported a problem wife left work early to meet service repairman never showed canceled for some unknown reason digital cable is awful out of several movies purchased that we could not watch due to continous scrambling only few were taken off bill i know every company has problems but when they are the same thing for most customers and have happened to us for over 2 years very frequently i would imagine troubleshooting these problems should not take that long we are moving so will troubleshoot ourselves and switch to bellsouth bundle i agree just say no to charter

bigwill said...

i completely agree we have the exact same problems and whenever they say they will deduct the lost time for services its only from the day you call so say you come home late and no internet you call the next day you lose 24 hours of refund also thats if customer service even types the complaint in we have called after receiving our bill no refunds and they say they have no idea we had problems the worst part for us we live in the east section of our city and our neighborhood only allows charter we are moving soon so our 2 year charter nightmare will soon be over i agree just say no

Tarotsfool said...

Thank you for the warning!!!

Jen said...

I am pretty sure you just made up my mind :) Thanks for the report!

Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH ALL COMMENTS.MY MOXIE BOX HAS BEEN REPACED 3 TIMES WITHIN THE PAST 4 MONTHS.MY BILL IS NEVER THE SAME,EVEN THOUGH I DONT NOT ORDER ANYTHING EXTRA DURING THE MONTH.ALSO I HAVE BEEN GETTING A SEPERATE BILL RECENTLY ON MY PHONE,WHEN I HAVE THE BUNDLE.AUTOMATED BILL ON PHONE IS ALWAYS DIFFERNT THEN BILL SENT IN MAIL. JUST SAY NO!!!

Anonymous said...

I ordered a charter bundle and never received the price promised to me, every month my bill goes up and calling in to try to fix it is impossible. No one will ever quote a real price, they change around the services supposedly every time I call to "save me money"... the bill has never gone down or ever stayed the same! Last time I called to cancel some services I was told I was not allowed to cancel anything. If you look in the dictionary for a definition of deceptive practices the definition is "Charter".

Anonymous said...

Charter telephone don't work half the time.....better leave it alone.
I've had for 3 months and porbably been in a mess for a month of that time....now have to pay 150.00 to get out of the bundle...
This stinks

Splinter46 said...

omg. Have you guys had it easy. Charter bundle is a cruel joke. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call Charter about my phone. At least 8 'techs' have come over here...nothing. They promise to send a supervisor. No one showed. This is the brief version.
I just got my bill today from Charter....$216.50 !!!!! I call them every %$#&% month about screwing up my bill. I spend 1 1/2 hours just now about my bill going up by over $80.00. They say that's what my bill is. $216.50 with no special features like HBO or anything else..just basic. SEE YA LATER CHARTER....FOR GOOD THIS TIME. DON'T USE THEIR SERIVES !!

Anonymous said...

Charter lies! I went through the whole trouble of selecting my bundle online only to be told by their phone rep that the price was wrong! Online, they quoted $54.99 for 6 months, but when I called to set up the installation appointment, the rep told me that it should have been $90 for 6 months, then it jumps to $120. Give me a break! I have screen shots to prove the quote, but they just gave me the run around. Don't bother with Charter if you can help it! Go fiber or go satellite!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for these warnings. I'll stick with Bred atleast they're honest.

Unknown said...

i have had problems with my moxi box for the last 3 weeks. i have been on the phone saturday, sunday and now monday. no one seems to really care and want even call back. i am ready to switch to direct tv.

Anonymous said...

Don't get the charter bundle, it's a rip off. They quote you a price but when you get the bill there are so many other different charges. I repeat do not get charter bundle, there are cheaper options out there.

Anonymous said...

We are only on 2nd month and TV and phone work great, but have had two bills and although we bought the $99.00 bundle with an extra box and the wireless rental, we ended up with a bill of just over $270, kept getting someone in Phillipines and finally called customer service (not billing - never do that) and said I wanted someone who understood me and I them. Finally thought all taken care of and 2nd bill still goofed up so that Customer Service took over an hour trying to figure out the bill. Charter better get their billing act together and get people in US. Charge us all an extra $1.00 or even $2.00 a month for option of speaking to someone in US and I bet we all would opt for it. I am scared of next months bill, but luckily the gal in customer service gave me her direct email so I can work with her on future problems.

Anonymous said...

thank you all for the heads up! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm from SC .and let me tell you charter sucks here too!!! Bill going up every month, daily losing internet connection. Customer service stinks!!

indianshadow said...

I have experienced the same problems everyone has reported here.
So, I switched to AT&T U-Verse. I have the same problems I had with Charter. Except, I pay for a service tech and or service call!!!
Internet signal is very low, equipment is very out dated. ATT cannot support 5 TV's operating at the same time! U-verse STINKS too!!

Dennis said...

Does anyone know of a good CLASS ACTION ATTORNEY? If so please have them contact me when they contact the thousands of other Charter Customers that were intentionally misled. My name is Dennis and my phone number is (314) 821-6336. I will consider testifying in court if necessary.

I signed up for the CHARTER DUO LIFETIME GUARANTEE in December 2011 and I was told over and over by several Charter employees that... There is no expiration...and with this very special plan the price never goes up! I documented 2 or 3 of the calls with a timely record that would possibly stand up in court. (see partial documentation below)

0n 12/05/11... I called (1-888-438-2427) and spoke with Lamorra in Town and Country (at Charters main office) and Lamorra said that... With the Charter Duo Plan there is no expiration on this plan and the price never goes up!

So I asked Lamorra... How am I supposed to prove that 2 years from now when they try to raise the price?

And Lamorra said... Really the price never goes up...its the first time we ever offered something like this! You will just have to trust us. Your price will never go up! Its called THE DUO!

0n 12/22/11... To further confirm...I called again (1-888-438-2427) and spoke with Jennifer in South Carolina and Jennifer said that... With the new Charter Duo Plan there is no expiration on this plan and the price never goes up!

Does anyone know of a good CLASS ACTION ATTORNEY? If so please have them contact me when they contact the thousands of other Charter Customers that were intentionally misled. My name is Dennis and my phone number is (314) 821-6336. I will consider testifying in court if necessary.

Anonymous said...

I don't have Charter, but my neighbors across the street do and I see the Charter repair truck there a lot. Was thinking about switching to Charter internet from AT&T Uverse internet, but given these comments I think I will pass. With AT&T I had one initial day of set up issues, but no problems since then (aside from my neighbors tree taking the line down one winter). AT&T just raised their rate $3, but speed/price comparisons seem to be about equivalent (AT&T a bit slower, but then the price for internet alone is lower as well).

Anonymous said...

Re AT&T Uverse followup - I don't have Uverse TV, so I can't speak for that (although I have heard good things). I only have the internet connection, and that is the one I have had no trouble with since intial setup.